dispatch4haiti@gmail.com

Saturday, January 30, 2010

This is no Motel 6

Up and at it early. Headed to my group just outside of Port-Au-Prince. Im separating from the church group. Many mosquito bites, slept on concrete, and it was a sticky 81 degrees that night. Breakfast consists of some eggs(they dont refrigerate eggs or cheese down here....) and a biscuit. Thank goodness for the PowerBar god. Vitamins to take care of mineral loss during heavy sweating, and after looking at my arms and legs ...I think Ill pop some of the doxycycline to prevent malaria. What I failed to mention was the amount of Rx drugs people donated to bring down here, I can thank them enough. I later learned that other medical teams got friends and family to donate old medications they had..duffle bags full.

The ride into Port-Au_Prince is sobering, but the damage looks surprisingly minimal compared to the TV. As you get closer to the center of the city, it becomes worse. There is also something they call devastation factor. Alot of the buildings look like they were ruined before the quake, and I hate to say it, but like they didnt loose much.

Around Midday I have setup 2 comm links, and Im looking to connected the church group with me, as they declared that their aid is being held up in a port in northern DR. DR Customs have been ignoring inbound cargo and container ships labeled as Haiti aid, but it was discovered that a few companies were sending Mercedes Benz and BMWs in those containers, among drugs and other contraband. I had arranged for a Dominican helicopter to drop me in to a town where the group was, named Love Child(...not kidding) but a US navy officer advised of the time it will take for arrival plus their reliability. He suggested a "real transport"..........























Yeah thats right, my multi-million dollar ride... I was firmly told no pictures...so someone else took some for me... they just didnt know Id be strolling on out. (I dont want to hear any taxpayer dollars comments! I got alot accomplished that day.)



The makeshift hospital @ Love Child community.

No comments:

Post a Comment