dispatch4haiti@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The begining......






If your reading this blog, then you know how this story

began. If you haven't seen the article, then here it is

http://www.theday.com/article/20100127/NWS01/301279925/-1/NWS

I should clear up one misunderstanding that a commenter had, I am NOT nor is anyone else being sent by Infragard, or any other branch of the government. This telecommunications company was already in the country providing internet services for a couple missions to provide support, and when the earthquake struck, they shifted gears, and asked their employee who is an Infragard member, to reach out to other member with skills in infrastructure.

I am not being paid to do this, nor are they any kickbacks.

Now that we are clear on that.......

This all started with me asking a few people to fill my duffle bag with a few medical supplies to really pack my bag. What I got were commitments that blew my mind. I began thinking that I should invest in some heavy duty luggage, and so I began looking for companies to donate luggage for this cause. I never really thought anyone would donate.....with the economy tanking like the titanic,...just ask the negative commenters on the article, and on the one about the National Guard helping out.

The reality of this is, that I am stressed, I am tired, I am cranky, but Im pushing on. Things have only really come together in the last couple of days.The request for luggage was made on the 21st, and after some vetting of my story through my employment(helps to work for a police department) my request was granted and shipped that night. By Monday the 25th, I had learned the 5.11 Tactical luggage was to arrive on the 27th originally, but after the kind people at 5.11 shipped, I noticed the tracking info stated an arrival of the 28th. My thoughts turned to scrambling for other luggage...more cost to me. At this point I actually had only 2 boxes of supplies with commitments for more. Some departments backed out for budget issues(understandable) and so I began to worry. To make a long story short, Id like to thank Hartford Fire and the Training Academy, Norwich Fire, Poquetanuck Fire, East Lyme Fire, New London Fire, Common Cents EMS supply in Old Saybrook(especially for the OBGYN kits) civilian donors, the pediatrician who gave me some great stuff, monetary donors.... Im pretty set with the luggage now with all the donations. I have some thank you cards to be written when I get back. I also want to thank my employer...the police department was awesome today, by transferring calls to me out on the road and taking info regarding my endevour.

Its a daunting task ahead of me. Its now 23:29 and I just NOW unloaded my car. I was quite tired of stopping for stoplights and being hit in the head by medical supplies from behind me.Time to pack............ Im leaving the house at 02:00.....no sleep. They always say when you prepare for things like this, day 1 is always the day before you trip... you dont sleep.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to hear the details of the medical supply drops. I know you are most excited about this as well. Praying the transport in DR goes as planned.

    ReplyDelete