dispatch4haiti@gmail.com

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The wait begins...












Check in and arrival went pretty smoothly this morning. I did turn one bag back to the car, as it was going to sky rocket the already ridiculous cost. Thankfully the ticket agents were helpful in telling me how to transfer my equipment to the med bags and get away with it. They did give me a small discount for which I'm thankful. I truly appreciate all the donations and support I have received. For those of you with a sour taste in your mouth for the airline.....its not the worst out there.. Still had people sniffling and sneezing, and crying...just like the bigger airlines.

The body armor went through without a hitch after identifying myself to half of congress, and thank god for zip up combat boots. Personally, I like to get dressed and undressed once a day...but that's not the case when you fly.

I'm estimating that around 290lb of supplies and equipment are headed to Haiti with me. My equipments probably only 14lb....

Had some Subway...the last decent food for awhile now...












As far as communications are concerned Ive run into a few issues and resolved one so far. My world phone from Verizon has both CDMA and GSM capabilities.....before I get into that, its time for me to spout off some knowledge and help you understand. I mean what else am I going to do in the airport for 7 hours?
Simple terms. In the US, there are 5 major companies Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint, Nextel and a collection of "mom and pop" companies that serve tiny spots in their region or state. Lets forget those mom and pops. With in those 5 major companies( for those of you who know sprint and Nextel merged....they still operate much differently) are 3 fundamentally different types of technologies. How they work isnt really important for my point here, so lets skip that. One type is iDen, which is inherent to Nextel only...its basically proprietary. That's why you can not roam onto another phone network when using their service. Next is CDMA which is used by Verizon and Sprint. CDMA is kind of a dinosaur who has tried to become "hip" and adapt with time, and most will argue that its generally slower then the next technology Ill speak of in a minute. But the best part of CDMA, is that its a little bit more reliable if used by the right company. While speed for data on the network is slower its footprint is much larger out of all 3 of the technologies.

Think of it this way. You have a town with a bunch of roads in it. Isn't it easier to repave a road then to bulldoze, level, and pave a new one where non existed?

Finally there is GSM. Both ATT and T-mobile use GSM. It stands for Global System for Mobile communications. See the idea is in the title...global communications. .....yeah minus the fact that we are Americans and we decide to buck the system whenever we can. Im just saying..... Fahrenheit, Lbs, inches, miles, football thats not used mainly with your foot....can you see where Im going here? Most of the civilized...and even uncivilized world uses the same frequencies for GSM 900mhz and 1800mhz. So in the US, we use 850mhz 1900mhz. The point Im getting at here is if you have a US GSM phone(ATT or Tmobile)..unless the phone says world phone which has all frequencies... you cant use it out side of your country. So if your not asleep.... I go back to my Verizon world phone. Verizon is owned by the giant UK company, Vodaphone who has GSM contracts around the world. In order for me to use MY phone outside the use, you have to use their SIM card which uses their list of phones companies in other countries. It just so happens that Haiti would cost me up to $3.99 a minute! But if you buy a SIM card for your GSM from the country your visiting, like I have for Haiti...its only $.49 a minute. The other option is to have your phone company give you the secret "unlock code" to allow other companies SIM cards in the phone....and you guessed it, Verizon will not do that.

Ill find either a local phone there or use the other phone I have which can be temperamental at times.


Im pretty sure I just lost 80% of my followers with this article...

I have yet to see any type of aid going to Haiti or DR from this airport, starting to make me wonder whats going to hit me in the face on the other side.


My contact through USAID has been amazing at finding me ways of transport through Haiti. My backup option is the embassy transport bus to Haiti in search of US citizens needing repatriation. So far I have a helicopter transport set from the San Isidro airport. Im landing at Las Americas International airport. Here is a map.


11 comments:

  1. I just posted a link to your blog on your Facebook page. I was hoping to actually talk to you before you boarded for the next leg of your trip. Hoping you get at least a little sleep at some point. Be safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anxious to read your up-dates. God keep you safe and bless you for doing what you are doing. A Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with this journey. I just hope you had room in your bag to pack a bag of all pink starbursts...Praying for your safe return home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luv you for what you're doing. You're the best. Keep the communications coming when you can. Stay safe. BJai loves you, too. Grmdllh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Until Justin can update the blog I wanted you all to know he safely arrived in the Dominican last night. He decided to travel to Haiti with a group traveling from a church in West Palm Beach, FL. This will help him avoid the long wait for transport. I am happy that he's traveling with a large group rather than by himself!! Keep praying... they are being answered :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all,
    I just spoke to Justin via telephone. He is well (as can be). He is continuing to travel through Haiti with the church group that I mentioned earlier, Proyecto America.
    http://www.proyectoamerica.org/English/indexEn.html

    He said he has done some communications but mostly helping to aid the victims of the quake medically. From the website above I gathered that the group he is with includes missionaries from various professions. So I'm sure they are traveling with medical proffessionals. Tomorrow they are headed to a refuge camp outside Port au Prince to continue aiding in whatever ways are most neccesary.

    He said the accommodations are minimal, which of course is much to be expected. However, he did sound upbeat.

    It was great to hear his voice and to know he is safe. I am proud of his desire to help and his abilty to follow through despite the road blocks he encountered. He is an amazing man.

    Thank you for your continued prayers for his travel, health and safety.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Stephanie for the update. Have been waiting to hear something. I'm happy and relieved he's all right. He'll have lots of stories to tell when he returns. If you talk to him again soon before I hear from him tell him that BJai and I send love and we miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Update:

    I spoke to Justin briefly late this morning. He and the group he is with arrived at a refugee camp in Cite Soleil, north of Port au Prince. There are approximately 5,000 displaced Haitians in this camp. Justin said they have not had any aid since the quake.

    At Justin's request I have been trying to make contact with Red Cross, USAid, Mercy Corps or anyone that can get them some medical aid, water and food. Being a Sunday, even during a disaster, makes things difficult. I have tried calling back the satellite phone he called me from and was only able to leave him a message. I was able to text an international number that is set up in Haiti per the US Dept of State website. It's purpose is for Haitians in need to be able to text their location and needs or for loved ones outside Haiti to "register" someones location and needs. But with no response it is nerve wracking to say the least. I will be on the phone as soon as the business day starts tomorrow. Justin gave me his USAid contact in Santo Domingo. I am hoping to get in touch with her tomorrow morning.

    It was a hurried conversation this morning just trying to exchange as much pertinent information as possible. It has left me with an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I thank God that Justin is intelligent and resourceful. I have been keeping him in constant prayer for his health and safety.

    I will absolutely pass on all your messages the next time I speak to him. Thank you all for your concern and prayers. Please remember to keep the Haitians in prayer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello again,

    Whew! I am so relieved! I just spoke to Justin and the UN is assisting them now. They are trying to organize food distribution in a secure manner.

    Justin will be linking up with a new group tomorrow as the group he has been working with is leaving. He plans to head back to the Dominican Republic Friday evening to ensure he is back in time for his return flight home Saturday night/Sunday morning.

    Continued prayers for Justin and the Haitians!!

    Oh! Grandma and BJai, he is going to try to call you. I did give him your message :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Justin is currently on his way to the Dominican Republic from Haiti. Apparently things are getting too dangerous in Haiti and people are being asked to leave. He attempted to get an earlier flight home but the charges to change his original flight are too extreme. He will be returning home Saturday night/Sunday morning as planned.

    It is an understatement anyway I can word it that Justin is a compassionate, brave man. I am so proud that he made sacrifices and went to help the Haitians in their desperate need. Our world is a little better off because of people like him!

    ReplyDelete